Monday, July 6, 2009

Ah-ha! And then I saw the lightbulb go off over their heads...


Many clients tell me that they find cigarette smoking very relaxing. Hmmm...that's interesting I say since nicotine is a STIMULANT. Why do you suppose it's relaxing? And then I get a quizzical look. Maybe it's because you're taking a moment for yourself, giving yourself a chance to re-group during a stressful situation? Perhaps it's the act of BREATHING that you find relaxing I suggest. Taking deep breaths of oxygen into your lungs? How about trying it without the little white cancer stick going from your hand to your mouth? Do you realize that along with the oxygen you are also inhaling nicotine, cyanide, formaldehyde and several other harmful chemicals? And then I see the light bulb go off over their heads! We all have heard Dr. Oz on the Oprah show emphasizing the benefits of BREATHING...deep diaphragmatic breathing, where you push the air into your belly and not just having your chest and shoulders rise up and down. Dr. Oz suggests 20 such breaths a day. We've also heard it many times before as it applies to meditation and yoga. Concentrate on your breath. Seems to me they might be onto something here! So why not give it a try? It's FREE and you can do it anytime you feel stressed. P.S. It also works great for geting you off to sleep and back to sleep. My clients report a significant decrease in insomnia once they eliminated the smoking habit.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Back in the 40's my grandmother used to say that she smoked as a substitute for eating. I never thought about the link between breathing and insomnia...and I am a shallow breather!

    ReplyDelete