Monday, July 13, 2009

Is vanity really one of the deadly sins?



In my case it is definitely not! It is what got me to quit smoking 20 years ago. As soon as I found out smoking caused premature wrinkling and aging, that was enough for me. Besides, I no longer wanted to be a slave to a little white stick. I hated being controlled by cigarettes. I also hated the smell; on me, my clothes, home and car. Of course I knew the health risks of smoking, but that is not what got me to ultimately quit. It's funny, if our inner organs were displayed on the outside, I wonder how many people would continue to smoke? I was not going to subject my skin, which is visible to me and everyone else, to the harmful effects of smoking any longer. I already had a strike against me from sun worshipping! Hard to avoid the sun growing up on Long Island with all our wonderful beaches. It's a good thing our summer's are only two months long. However, I found quitting smoking was difficult to do on my own. It's a powerful addiction, both psychologically and physiologically. That's where Hypnosis played a key role in assisting me with getting rid of a habit I no longer wanted. I had a high expectation of the process of hypnosis, a great belief in myself to change, commitment and determination to succeed. The point I am trying to make is that your WHY for quitting has to be big enough. You must learn to hate your drug of choice and be willing to adopt healthier habits. Now ask me if I LOVE IT when I'm mistaken for being in my late 30's or early 40's and I'm actually 51!

View my web site


2 comments:

  1. I love knowing how and why someone quite an addiction (smoking). It gives a face to problem which I liked- as well as the humor. Btw- no way are you 51. I'd never have believed that! Love, Roxane

    ReplyDelete